Sunday, October 23, 2005

Family: Airports are our life

My family travels a lot. By a lot I mean everyone has their own frequent flyer numbers on various airlines and we all have our personal favorite ways to get in, out and through various airports. I though possess an ability to defy knowing exactly where I am once I arrive. You see as the Coe family one of us(name withheld to protect the guilty) likes to plan out all combinations of possibilities. Another of us, namely me the instigator , likes to mess with that process as much as possible. So Saturday morning I'm flying in for a great family friends wedding reception. Of course you must know there exists a free shuttle to the hotel where I will be staying with said family. Off the plane I come bag in tow headed towards baggage claim to meet my beloved family who has driven to the airport to pick me up personally. I walk by baggage claim looking for the clan.....left.....right.....left......right. No sign. Ok time to call the cell. Thinking they are late, not uncommon for this group, I call and reach mom. The conversation goes something like this:
Son: "So I'm here. Where are you guys?"
Mom:" We're waiting outside the main terminal.....where are you?"
Son: Gazes around now....looking for a clue. "I'm standing next to the ET14 exit door." I start walking towards the information booth knowing how the rest of this conversation will go. I find out I'm in the East terminal while my beloved family is in the main terminal.
Mom:"Your in the wrong terminal. You need to get on the airport shuttle and come over to this terminal. We'll stay put you come find us."
Son: Well most of you know what I'm thinking. Sure I'm in the wrong terminal. I mean I obviously pulled the stop rope on the plane to soon to signal the driver to pull over to the East Terminal...yeah that's what I did. My Bad! "Sure let me find that shuttle and come right over"
Click.
Son: Thinks..this is crazy you guys need to come find me. Dials moms cellphone....of course no one answers. Why would they I mean we just talked less than a minute ago, what more could one in my situation possible have to say! Dials brothers cellphone.
Son: "Dude you guys need to come find me, or maybe I'll just get on the shuttle to the hotel. I'm in the East terminal by door ET14"
Brother:"You bought a GT?" - Thanks sprint for that awesome signal!
Son:"I'M BY EXIT ET14.....ET14 like Extra - Terrestrial" - people now staring at this crazy ponytail having, shorts wearing man yelling into his cellphone. Of course over the speaker phone.
Brother:" Ok yeah GT14.... on our way."
Son:"Dude ET14!"
Brother: "yeah man ET14, as in Echo"
Son: "Correct Echo" click.
Another 10-15 minutes pass and family pulls up to ET14.

Now the thing that make this soooo funny ( for some definition of that word) is that fact that this happens a lot to me and my family. There was the Minneapolis airport scene with my brother much the same just substitute ET14 with Blue4 and main terminal with Green4. Then there was again the Minneapolis scene with father and great fishing friend Pappy. Pappy goes into the airport to find me. We do not cross paths. I come outside to the truck where Dad is...." Where is Pappy", Dad "Inside looking for you", Son "Ok I'll go back in", Pappy comes out to the truck "Where is Skeeter", Dad "Inside looking for you".....repeat..... you get the picture.

Family: God puts them in your life because their the only ones who can handle your stupidity and laugh with you at it later. I guess I could also define friends that way too. I mean most of my close ones anyway.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

You neglected to mention the vital role some friends play in helping you remember which flight you booked ;)

9:14 AM  
Blogger coeman said...

True that! Many friends, ok normally just Zoon, Nacho or Ranjit have helped place me on nearly all my outgoing flights. I mean come on though the airports know I'm coming why can't they have signs for me as to which airline I'm flying. Ah what a great start-up idea. Off to find VC.

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home